What is Estate Planning?
It is more than simply drafting documents to dispose of property after death.
Elder Law & Estate Planning mean different things to different attorneys. Some of the services we provide are:
- Advice on a gifting program throughout ones lifetime to reduce a taxable estate;
- Last Will & Testament planning;
- A well drafted Durable Power of Attorney;
- Advanced healthcare directives; and
- A prenuptial agreement (deciding whether a second spouse should inherit from you).
We focus our representation on new and young families who are just starting their estate planning journey. This typically involves "sweet heart" Last Will & Testament planning, college planning for children, and choosing guardians for minor children.
It is our experience that new families are remarkably under served when it comes to estate planning and that most new families do not have an established estate plan at all. This is a critical mistake because this is often the time when estate planning is very important.